Yes, it is possible to have fun, be inspired and still run a business. How?
Sometimes we get so bogged down with the busy work of running our businesses that we forget the initial excitement and inspiration that drove to take that leap into business-ownership! Sometimes with all the stresses, the to-do lists and the monotony we simply forget HOW to have fun.
This is not only sad and a waste, it should also be a lesson for all of us. Life is too short not to enjoy what one does 8, 10, 12 or more hours a day.
Eight Irresistible Principles of Having Fun
Check out this video (trust me, it’ll be fun!):
- Stop hiding who you really are.
- Start being intensely selfish.
- Stop following the rules.
- Start scaring yourself.
- Stop taking it all so damn seriously.
- Start getting rid of the crap.
- Stop being busy.
- Start something.
What the ROI (Return on Investment) on having Fun?
What if the unit of currency was fun instead of dollars? What if we used that fun currency to buy and sell things? As they say, “Do what you love, and the money will follow“. Once you start having fun in your business, the results start coming.
1. Get back to doing the things you love to do! You remember … the skills and talents that your clients pay you for! Delegate the daily tasks and mundane work that anyone can do to others. You’ll start having fun again and revitalize the passion and drive you had when you began.
2. Take a Break! I say this a lot but I’ll say it again: the best way to start having fun in your business is to walk away from it for awhile. Recharge and get rejuvenated. Take a day off from work, and get a fresh perspective outside of your office or workspace. When you return, you’ll feel energized, have new ideas and a new sense of motivation.
3. Remove the Clutter! As per the video above, clutter can be physical but it also can be emotional. A clean, organized workspace lends itself to an uncluttered, more productive mind. And a positive outlook and a healthy dose of self-confidence lends itself to limitless potential. Get rid of the self-doubt, emotional baggage, and negative thoughts.
4. Remove the Naysayers! This is similar to removing emotional clutter, but just as beneficial. Take a hard look at the people in your lives … are those close to you and your company (coworkers, clients, employees, vendors) supportive of your business, creative, fun and POSITIVE? If not, it may be time to clean out the Rolodex as well as your desktop.
5. Take a chance! It’s okay to be scared of the unknown, but years of monotony and unfulfilled dreams is the real nightmare and could prove fatal to your business. Realize your potential, be an innovator in your industry, allow your business plan to grow and evolve, and be creative. Fun ignites creativity which fuels innovation, the cornerstone of building a business.
Startup Production … still having fun!
I’ve been having fun for 14+ years in my web and graphic design business starting in the Hudson Valley NY area, and now in the Richmond KY and Lexington KY area. My clients have been an inspiration to me as I get to know them and their businesses, as well as the many awesome people I’ve worked with over the years: programmers, vendors, subcontractors, and consultants.
I love the creative side of my business. It’s been an exciting challenge designing websites and other graphic items to compliment each of my client’s business, their personality and their company’s branding. But I have also had fun exploring the marketing side of my business through networking, social media, internet marketing and now … blogging. And I absolutely love sharing with my clients what I have learned over the years.
If you want to start having some fun improving your web presence, expanding your audience and engaging your target market, call Startup Production today. I promise, it’ll be fun!