Here’s the Why …
With so many outlets of social media, from posts to tweets to email marketing, why should you also blog for your business? Some may feel blogging is redundant to the message they’re already putting out there with their website and other social media content, but they couldn’t be more wrong. So why blog for your business?
I. Establish your Brand & Expertise = Communication
Blogging is becoming critical to business owners by building your social media footprint, establishing your brand, or position yourself in your area of expertise. The ultimate benefit of blogging is the opportunity to communicate your expertise and establish your business as a resource.
II. Search Optimization Benefits = More Traffic
Blogs also enhance your company’s search engine optimization. Blogs provide keyword-rich content that answers your customers’ questions, and an opportunity through links and contents to integrate with your main website, thus increasing your traffic.
III. Marketing Benefits = Increased Profits $$$
“According to Hubspot’s research, almost three out five marketers rated blogs as critical or important to their business in 2012. Over a third of marketers said that blogs had become more important over the last six months.” (9/27/2012) Business Blogs when done well are cost effective marketing tools for driving lead generation and sales.
Okay, so here’s the HOW ….
How do you blog? Where do I start? What do I write about? How often should I blog? Don’t get overwhelmed, take a deep breath and have fun with blogging. Yes its possible! Let’s break it down to some easy steps:
- Know your audience: When writing your content, keep your target audience (your customers) in mind so you stay on topic to what is pertinent, appealing and informative to what they need and want to read about.
- Tell your company’s story: This is not a time for personal journaling, where your reveal your personal thoughts, secrets & opinions but instead walk the fine line to give your business a human face yet a professional one. Through the use of your expertise, your accomplishments, your customers’ testimonials, and lessons learned through the obstacles you’ve faced in your professional journey, you can tell a story that makes an impression when your customers are in the purchasing mode.
- Write your own content: This is your narrative, your story and that of your company’s, so take stock in that responsibility. If you need help through a copy editor, professional blogger, or social media consultant that is fine but make sure they understand your marketing goals and the personality of your company’s brand.
- Add eye candy that incorporates your brand: Add an image or photo to attract and retain reader attention. Add images, video, audio and presentations to your blog if possible. The layout and color, as well as the graphic material you use, should all complement your branding (your logo, your website, your theme colors, etc). All of this visual integration all creates an impression with your customers that will be remembered and recognized.
- Optimize your Content: Focus each article on your targeted keyword phrase to enhance your search optimization. More information on keyword focused blogging: http://heidicohen.com/blogging-seo-tips/
- Blog Consistently: How often does that mean? For some, it’s nearly every day considering your industry and the need for fresh, up-to-date content by your consumers. Otherwise, a good rule of thumb would be once a week. Think of your blog as a courtesy phone call to your customers. A weekly blog establishes a rhythm and is also more manageable for most small business owners. Don’t miss weeks at a time though, inconsistent posts lose readership and weaken your sales.
- Don’t give up: Blogging won’t be a game-changer overnight, but over time if you are consistent and stay on topic, you will see results. “The first two months of starting a blog are the most difficult because it feels like nobody is reading.” Don’t get discouraged or give up if you don’t see immediate results. Just keep writing and have fun with it!
- Track your Results: Measure your blog’s effectiveness with track traffic, lead generation and sales. Most blog platforms offer a variety of ways to track your page views, subscribers, and traffic. Use RSS feeds & email subscriptions to encourage your customers to follow your blog.
Here’s the When …
It’s never too soon to start! To get started today, Startup Production is here to help. For professional blog setup on a variety quality and easy-to-use platforms, call Startup Production to design a visually appealing blog that compliments your already established branding and theme.
We will also take time to train you on how to post content, pictures, images and organize your blog posts with the use of labels, keywords and tags.
Here are some great Blogging Statistics: http://www.impactbnd.com/blogging-statistics-55-reasons-blogging-creates-55-more-traffic/